1
Houses on Gooshays Drive, Harold Hill
Opposite the end of Faringdon Avenue.
Image: © Robin Webster
Taken: 30 Jun 2012
0.05 miles
2
Log by the Loop
The London Loop path follows this cycleway through a strip of open space beside the diminutive Paines Brook which is in the trees on the left.
Image: © Des Blenkinsopp
Taken: 8 Sep 2014
0.10 miles
3
Derelict Factory, Spilsby Road, Harold Hill, Essex
Image: © John Winfield
Taken: 20 Jun 2005
0.17 miles
4
Harold Hill Community Centre bus stop
The grass area has now been built on.
Image: © Robin Webster
Taken: 30 Jun 2012
0.18 miles
5
Central Park, Harold Hill
Image: © Des Blenkinsopp
Taken: 8 Sep 2014
0.21 miles
6
Central Park, Harold Hill
Central Park is found in Gooshayes Ward of Harold Hill. The name probably comes from Geoffrey Goshaye who cleared the woodland and enclosed the new arable land in the late 12th century. The literal meaning of Gooshayes is 'goose enclosure'. The house at Gooshayes was rebuilt during the reign of Charles II. In front of the brick-built manor house lay terraced gardens, at the bottom of which were two horse-shoe ponds which were medieval in origin. Beyond the ponds ran Payne's Brook. By the late 18th century, the original manor house was in ruins, replaced by a Georgian farmhouse, partly constructed from the remains. All that remained of the house in 1800 were the foundations, the terraced garden and the two fishponds.
After the Second World War the farmhouse and the barn were to have been preserved. The 18th century barn, having been described as "the largest of its type in Essex", suffered the elements, neglect and constant attack by vandals, and was destroyed by fire in 1958. The farm's final use was as a community centre but was demolished in 1961.
Image: © Marathon
Taken: 14 Jun 2017
0.23 miles
7
Figures in Central Park, Harold Hill
Central Park is found in Gooshayes Ward of Harold Hill. The name probably comes from Geoffrey Goshaye who cleared the woodland and enclosed the new arable land in the late 12th century. The literal meaning of Gooshayes is 'goose enclosure'. The house at Gooshayes was rebuilt during the reign of Charles II. In front of the brick-built manor house lay terraced gardens, at the bottom of which were two horse-shoe ponds which were medieval in origin. Beyond the ponds ran Payne's Brook. By the late 18th century, the original manor house was in ruins, replaced by a Georgian farmhouse, partly constructed from the remains. All that remained of the house in 1800 were the foundations, the terraced garden and the two fishponds.
After the Second World War the farmhouse and the barn were to have been preserved. The 18th century barn, having been described as "the largest of its type in Essex", suffered the elements, neglect and constant attack by vandals, and was destroyed by fire in 1958. The farm's final use was as a community centre but was demolished in 1961.
The figures here are King Henry VIIIth, Harry Norman Eccleston OBE, the Bank of England's first full-time banknote designer who lived nearby, and Dick Bouchard MBE, the founder of the Romford Drum and Trumpet Corps. For the reason these three were chosen see https://www3.havering.gov.uk/Pages/ServiceChild/CentralPark-LGSL-823.aspx
Image: © Marathon
Taken: 14 Jun 2017
0.23 miles
8
Houses on Dewsbury Road, Harold Hill
On the corner of Guildford Road.
Image: © Robin Webster
Taken: 30 Jun 2012
0.24 miles
9
Figures in Central Park
On the London Loop between Harold Wood and Havering-atte-Bower.
Image: © Peter S
Taken: 23 May 2018
0.24 miles
10
View from St Neot's Road, Harold Hill
Paine's Brook, a tributary of the Ingrebourne River, runs through the trees on the right and the London LOOP passes along the other side of the trees. Amersham Road is on the left here.
Image: © Marathon
Taken: 14 Jun 2017
0.24 miles