1
Whitehorse Lane SE25
Petrol station at entrance to Crystal Palace Football Ground (through Sainsbury's car park etc)
Image: © Chris L L
Taken: 27 Dec 2008
0.06 miles
2
Whitehorse Lane, South Norwood
Image: © David Howard
Taken: 7 Oct 2012
0.13 miles
3
Public footpath 679, from Whitworth Road to Holmewood Road, South Norwood
Image: © Christopher Hilton
Taken: 6 Feb 2014
0.14 miles
4
Parry Road, South Norwood: view towards Croydon
In the distance to the left, the commercial buildings of central Croydon. In the middle distance at the end of the road is Whitehorse Meadow
Image, the surprisingly large open space that is tucked between houses here.
Image: © Christopher Hilton
Taken: 26 Jun 2012
0.15 miles
5
Houses in Ross Road
The steep streets in this area can be clearly seen in this photograph. The gradient on Ross Road is by no means the steepest! Central Croydon can be seen in the distance.
Image: © Peter Trimming
Taken: 28 Feb 2009
0.15 miles
6
Gates to Grangewood Park
Grangewood was originally part of the Manor of Whitehorse and the wood known as Whitehorse Wood was part of the Great North Wood. In 1800 the wood was completely surrounded by fields but by the mid 19th century the east and west sides of Whitehorse Wood were cleared for development, whilst the remaining 30 acres to the east of Grange Road were developed as a private estate. This now forms Grangewood Park. It had a mansion at the centre with extensive gardens to the south. Croydon Corporation bought Grangewood Park in 1900. The mansion and grounds were badly damaged in the Second World War and the house was demolished in 1960. The formal garden at the centre of the park marks the site. When the Council acquired the park they built a bandstand but this was also demolished after the Second World War. Much of the park is what is called woodland park which is not as dense as ordinary woodland. These gates lead out to Ross Road at its junction with Wharncliffe Road and Canham Road. The house opposite is in the continuation of Ross Road.
Image: © Marathon
Taken: 21 Oct 2011
0.15 miles
7
House in Ross Road
This imposing house, high on the hill, can be seen be seen from several (distant) photographic points. Severely damaged by fire in the late 20th century, it has been restored to its former glory. Photographed from inside Grangewood Park.
Image: © Peter Trimming
Taken: 28 Feb 2009
0.16 miles
8
Entrance to Grangewood Park
Grangewood was originally part of the Manor of Whitehorse and the wood known as Whitehorse Wood was part of the Great North Wood. In 1800 the wood was completely surrounded by fields but by the mid 19th century the east and west sides of Whitehorse Wood were cleared for development, whilst the remaining 30 acres to the east of Grange Road were developed as a private estate. This now forms Grangewood Park. It had a mansion at the centre with extensive gardens to the south. Croydon Corporation bought Grangewood Park in 1900. The mansion and grounds were badly damaged in the Second World War and the house was demolished in 1960. The formal garden at the centre of the park marks the site. When the Council acquired the park they built a bandstand but this was also demolished after the Second World War. Much of the park is what is called woodland park which is not as dense as ordinary woodland. These gates lead into the park from Ross Road near its junction with Wharncliffe Road and Canham Road.
Image: © Marathon
Taken: 21 Oct 2011
0.16 miles
9
Exit from Grangewood Park
Grangewood was originally part of the Manor of Whitehorse and the wood known as Whitehorse Wood was part of the Great North Wood. In 1800 the wood was completely surrounded by fields but by the mid 19th century the east and west sides of Whitehorse Wood were cleared for development, whilst the remaining 30 acres to the east of Grange Road were developed as a private estate. This now forms Grangewood Park. It had a mansion at the centre with extensive gardens to the south. Croydon Corporation bought Grangewood Park in 1900. The mansion and grounds were badly damaged in the Second World War and the house was demolished in 1960. The formal garden at the centre of the park marks the site. When the Council acquired the park they built a bandstand but this was also demolished after the Second World War. Much of the park is what is called woodland park which is not as dense as ordinary woodland. The path leads down to Ross Road which is on the right here.
Image: © Marathon
Taken: 21 Oct 2011
0.16 miles
10
Whitehorse Meadow, South Norwood
Whitehorse Meadow comprises former allotments which were saved from redevelopment and dedicated as a public open space in the mid-1990s. This photograph is taken looking into the meadow from the Parry Road entrance.
Image: © Christopher Hilton
Taken: 18 Sep 2012
0.17 miles