1
Looking across farmland to Sunniside Farm
Sunniside Farm (no longer a working farm) is seen across an area of cultivated arable land beside the Cleadon Park area of South Shields.
Image: © Graham Robson
Taken: 23 Sep 2018
0.06 miles
2
Cleadon Hill Road, Cleadon Park
A residential street with a mixture of house types though all look to be of a similar age and style.
Image: © Graham Robson
Taken: 23 Sep 2018
0.06 miles
3
Postbox, Cleadon Hill Road, Cleadon Park
A pillar box on the side of Cleadon Hill Road in the Cleadon Park area of housing.
Image: © Graham Robson
Taken: 23 Sep 2018
0.06 miles
4
Cleadon Hill Road, Cleadon Park
Looking along a quiet residential street in Cleadon Park. The postbox on the pavement ahead can be seen in more detail in
Image
Image: © Graham Robson
Taken: 23 Sep 2018
0.07 miles
5
Buildings at the former Cleadon Pumping Station
The ornately designed buildings of the former Cleadon Pumping Station have been retained and appear to have been converted into houses. The buildings and the chimney are grade II listed: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1232322 and https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1416041
Image: © Graham Robson
Taken: 23 Sep 2018
0.13 miles
6
Entrance to Cleadon Water Pumping Station
"The squared stone entrance gateway pillars and high gates have a telecom system, but the attractive wooded site and fine buildings are visible beyond."
Cleadon Hills Conservation Area Character Appraisal (2007).
Image: © Andrew Curtis
Taken: 30 Jan 2020
0.13 miles
7
Cleadon Pumping station - engine house
A former Sunderland & South Shields Water Company engine house that was designed by Thomas Hawksley and commenced work in 1862. The boiler house is behind and the ornate square chimney stands alone.
Image: © Chris Allen
Taken: 12 Sep 2024
0.14 miles
8
Evening view to Cleadon Water Tower
The water tower is in fact a chimney, for the water pumping station built here in 1860-1862. The pumping station is now flats I believe.
Image: © Jeremy Bolwell
Taken: 29 Jul 2021
0.16 miles
9
Cleadon Pumping Station
The pumping station was originally operated by steam from coal fired Cornish boilers, using about 470 lbs of coal per hour, powering two Cornish Beam engines which in turn drove combined ram and bucket pumps down into the 269.88 feet deep (12 ft diameter) well below the Engine House. The resultant vacuum produced in the shaft by the ‘ram and bucket’ moving up and down, drew up the water which was piped away under ground to the large circular reservoir, which held 2 million gallons of water. This reservoir was covered in 1954 by what was reputed to then be the largest unsupported concrete dome in Europe. About 1.5 million gallons of water was extracted each 12 hour day. The tall (100 feet) Italianate listed tower on the higher land above was actually a ‘chimney’ that provided a draught for the boilers as well as dispersing waste gases from the squat Boiler House which is attached to the taller Engine House in the centre of the site. The ‘artificial’ cooling pond to the south of the site, fed by water from the well but now a shallow grass depression, was needed because the site did not have a natural surface stream, a characteristic typical of limestone areas. Water from the cooling pond was recycled after use via underground pipes back into the cooling pond.
Cleadon Hills Conservation Area Character Appraisal (2007).
Image: © Andrew Curtis
Taken: 30 Jan 2020
0.16 miles
10
Water pumping station chimney, Cleadon Hill
Built for a steam engine in 1863. See
Image for a closer view.
Image: © Christine Johnstone
Taken: 25 Feb 2017
0.16 miles