1
4 and 6 Streatham, West Norwood
2 Grade II listed houses on Thornlaw Road.
See http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-204707-4-and-6-streatham for more details.
Image: © David Anstiss
Taken: 2 Oct 2011
0.05 miles
2
St Julian's Farm Road (6)
Looking east down St Julian's Farm Road from near the junction with Thurlestone Road.
St Julian's Farm Road has several distinct stylistic groups of houses, all probably dating from the second half of the C19th (except for a few at the top end built in the 1920s/1930s).
The development of West Norwood began with the breaking up of Lord Thurlow's estate after his death in 1806, but it accelerated greatly with the arrival of the Crystal Palace railway in 1856; between 1851 and 1901 the population of the district of St. Luke's, Norwood increased from around 4,000 to around 36,000.
Image: © Stephen Richards
Taken: Unknown
0.05 miles
3
4 and 6 Thornlaw Road
Amid the mostly Victorian and Edwardian streets of West Norwood, these two houses stand out somewhat. They were designed by Ernest George and Harold Peto in 1882-83. The tile-hung upper storey, prominent chimneys and white-painted sash windows are common motifs of Arts and Crafts architecture. Grade II listed.
George lived in Streatham for some years and designed several buildings in the area.
Image: © Stephen Richards
Taken: Unknown
0.05 miles
4
Thornlaw Road (3)
Looking east down Thornlaw Road from near the junction with Thurlby Road.
These houses were probably built in the second half of the C19th.
The development of West Norwood began with the breaking up of Lord Thurlow's estate after his death in 1806, but it accelerated greatly with the arrival of the Crystal Palace railway in 1856; between 1851 and 1901 the population of the district of St. Luke's, Norwood increased from around 4,000 to around 36,000.
Image: © Stephen Richards
Taken: Unknown
0.06 miles
5
St Julian's Farm Road (7)
Looking east down St Julian's Farm Road from near the junction with Casewick Road. Just out of shot round the corner it meets Knight's Hill. The trees of West Norwood Cemetery are visible in the background
St Julian's Farm Road has several distinct stylistic groups of houses, all probably dating from the second half of the C19th (except for a few at the top end built in the 1920s/1930s).
The development of West Norwood began with the breaking up of Lord Thurlow's estate after his death in 1806, but it accelerated greatly with the arrival of the Crystal Palace railway in 1856; between 1851 and 1901 the population of the district of St. Luke's, Norwood increased from around 4,000 to around 36,000.
Image: © Stephen Richards
Taken: 25 Nov 2009
0.07 miles
6
Thornlaw Road (1)
Looking east down the bottom end of Thornlaw Road, where it meets Knight's Hill, from near the junction with Casewick Road.
These houses were probably built in the second half of the C19th.
The development of West Norwood began with the breaking up of Lord Thurlow's estate after his death in 1806, but it accelerated greatly with the arrival of the Crystal Palace railway in 1856; between 1851 and 1901 the population of the district of St. Luke's, Norwood increased from around 4,000 to around 36,000.
Image: © Stephen Richards
Taken: Unknown
0.08 miles
7
Casewick Road (3)
Looking roughly north-east from near the junction with Tredwell Road.
These houses were probably built in the second half of the C19th. The development of West Norwood began with the breaking up of Lord Thurlow's estate after his death in 1806, but it accelerated greatly with the arrival of the Crystal Palace railway in 1856; between 1851 and 1901 the population of the district of St. Luke's, Norwood increased from around 4,000 to around 36,000.
Image: © Stephen Richards
Taken: Unknown
0.08 miles
8
Former Arnold & Jane Gabriel Home
This former Jewish orphanage was built in 1910 according to the inscription. When photographed, it recently had been offices of a housing trust, but the remaining grounds looked rather unkempt and their signs had been taken down, so they may have moved out.
Image: © Robin Webster
Taken: 23 Jul 2011
0.09 miles
9
Former Arnold & Jane Gabriel Home
This former Jewish orphanage was built in 1910 according to the inscription. When photographed, it recently had been offices of a housing trust, but the remaining grounds looked rather unkempt and their signs had been taken down, so they may have moved out.
Image: © Robin Webster
Taken: 23 Jul 2011
0.09 miles
10
Charity shops in West Norwood
Emmaus now has a presence in many large cities and towns tackling homelessness in a variety of ways.
Image: © Bill Boaden
Taken: 1 Feb 2014
0.09 miles