1
Allotments by Parkland Walk, Crouch End
Image: © David Howard
Taken: 9 Sep 2014
0.01 miles
2
Mount Pleasant Villas from Parkland Walk
Image: © Oxyman
Taken: 22 Apr 2009
0.03 miles
3
View from Parkland Walk, looking southeast
Taken from the same bridge as
Image, we see Mount Pleasant Villas stretching away into the distance. To the right is Blythwood Road.
Image: © Dr Neil Clifton
Taken: 7 Jan 2012
0.04 miles
4
Capital Ring towards Highgate
Image: © Ian S
Taken: 1 Mar 2014
0.04 miles
5
Eastbound freight train on Tottenham & Hampstead line at Harringay Junction, 1947
View westward, probably from Oakfield Road [?] bridge, towards Gospel Oak, Kentish Town and Cricklewood on the former Joint (MR & GER) line across North London, now with a London Overground service Gospel Oak - Barking, an important freight link. Tender-first is ex-Midland 3F 0-6-0 No. 3448 (built by Dubs & Co 1894, withdrawn 1/54).
Image: © Ben Brooksbank
Taken: 8 Nov 1947
0.07 miles
6
The disused platforms at Crouch Hill station
The Tottenham & Hampstead Junction Railway was planned to run from Tottenham Hale on the Great Eastern Railway to Gospel Oak on the Hampstead Junction section of the London & North Western Railway. It was worked by the North London Railway (NLR) from its opening in 1860, and in 1864 came under NLR control. On 21st July 1868 a new line opened from Tottenham Hale to Highgate Road and this is when Crouch Hill station also opened. It was only in 1887 that an extension to Gospel Oak was achieved but as a passenger exchange not as a junction.
On 9th July 1894, the Tottenham & Forest Gate Railway was opened for through goods and passenger trains with stations at Blackhorse Road, Walthamstow, Leyton, Leytonstone and Wanstead Park opening on the same day. The scheme was completed by a new station at Woodgrange Park, also opened on 9th July 1894 on a pre-existing track which had been laid in 1854.
Up to 1912 the line was a joint railway operated by the Midland Railway and the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway but from 1912 it was solely operated by the Midland. With the opening of the new line the Midland extended some of its South Tottenham trains to East Ham.
The line which now ran between Kentish Town and Barking was considered for closure to passengers in 1963 as part of the Beeching Axe, but it remained open. Even so, it was allowed to fall into a poor state of repair and reliability, and by 1980 had been cut back to an hourly service between Kentish Town and Barking.
The situation began to improve from 1981 when a new link to Gospel Oak was built and the hourly service from Kentish Town to Barking was replaced by the present route from Gospel Oak to Barking with two trains per hour. Now with it being taken over by Transport for London as part of the London Overground network the whole line has a new lease of life and new trains run every 15 minutes between Barking and Gospel Oak.
The platforms were originally built to accommodate longer trains. The unused sections of platform remain beyond a barrier, but are closed and, as can be seen here, are in a poor state of repair. This is the case with many of the stations on the Barking to Gospel Oak Line - another example can be seen at http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4015346
The next station in this direction is Harringay Green Lanes.
Image: © Marathon
Taken: 28 Jan 2015
0.07 miles
7
Harvest Petrol Station Stapleton Hall Road London N4
This petrol station is known for being the cheapest in the area and for having appeared in TV dramas. It sits at the intersection of what was once two railways. Behind it to the left lies the Gospel Oak to Barking London Overground line which was once locally known as the Goblin Line but is now officially called the Suffragette Line. To its right stands the beautiful arch of the bridge that once carried the Finsbury Park to Alexandra Palace line that now hosts walkers and cyclists on the Parkland Walk.
Image: © John Kingdon
Taken: 7 Oct 2024
0.08 miles
8
Stroud Green railway station (site), Greater London
Opened in 1881 by the Great Northern Railway on the line from Finsbury Park to Alexandra Palace, this station closed in 1954.
View north west towards Crouch End and Alexandra Palace. The wooden platforms of the station started at the end of the bridge parapet, but were destroyed by fire in 1967. The former line is now a public footpath. The white building to the right is the former Station Master's house.
For further information, see http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/stroud_green/index.shtml
Image: © Nigel Thompson
Taken: 12 Oct 2018
0.08 miles
9
Capital Ring towards Highgate
Image: © Ian S
Taken: 1 Mar 2014
0.08 miles
10
Parkland Walk near Crouch End
This section of Parkland Walk is also on the route of the Capital Ring.
Image: © Malc McDonald
Taken: 13 Aug 2023
0.08 miles