1
Wanstead Park railway station, Greater London
Opened in 1894 by the Tottenham and Forest Gate Junction Railway on the line from Gospel Oak to Barking.
View west towards Leytonstone High Road and Gospel Oak, shortly after the line was electrified. See
Image for a pre-electrification view some 6 years earlier.
Image: © Nigel Thompson
Taken: 17 Feb 2018
0.01 miles
2
Wanstead Park Station
Image: © John Salmon
Taken: 2 Oct 2014
0.01 miles
3
Wanstead Park Railway Station
Image: © Stacey Harris
Taken: 22 Mar 2010
0.01 miles
4
Wanstead Park railway station, Greater London
Opened in 1894 by the Tottenham and Forest Gate Junction Railway on the line from Gospel Oak to Barking.
View west towards Leytonstone High Road and Gospel Oak a few years before electrification. See
Image for a similar view six years later.
Image: © Nigel Thompson
Taken: 19 Jan 2012
0.02 miles
5
Wanstead Park station at night
This station on what is now called the GOBLIN (Gospel Oak to Barking Line) was opened in 1894. It forms an effective interchange with the Great Eastern suburban line at Forest Gate station a few hundred metres away.
Image shows it in daytime, with a bit more history.
Image: © Stephen Craven
Taken: 31 May 2022
0.02 miles
6
View from Wanstead Park station
The Tottenham & Hampstead Junction Railway was planned to run from Tottenham Hale on the Great Eastern Railway to Gospel Oak on the Hampstead Junction section of the London & North Western Railway. It was worked by the North London Railway (NLR) from its opening in 1860, and in 1864 came under NLR control. On 21st July 1868 a new line opened from Tottenham Hale to Highgate Road. It was only in 1887 that an extension to Gospel Oak was achieved but as a passenger exchange not as a junction.
On 9th July 1894, the Tottenham & Forest Gate Railway was opened for through goods and passenger trains with stations at Blackhorse Road, Walthamstow, Leyton, Leytonstone and Wanstead Park opening on the same day. The scheme was completed by a new station at Woodgrange Park, also opened on 9th July 1894 on a pre-existing track which had been laid in 1854.
Up to 1912 the line was a joint railway operated by the Midland Railway and the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway but from 1912 it was solely operated by the Midland. With the opening of the new line the Midland extended some of its South Tottenham trains to East Ham.
The line which now ran between Kentish Town and Barking was considered for closure to passengers in 1963 as part of the Beeching Axe, but it remained open. Even so, it was allowed to fall into a poor state of repair and reliability, and by 1980 had been cut back to an hourly service between Kentish Town and Barking. The station canopies were gradually demolished, ticket offices closed and staff withdrawn from stations.
The situation began to improve from 1981 when a new link to Gospel Oak was built and the hourly service from Kentish Town to Barking was replaced by the present route from Gospel Oak to Barking with two trains per hour. Now with it being taken over by Transport for London as part of the London Overground network the whole line has a new lease of life and new trains run every 15 minutes between Barking and Gospel Oak.
Strangely, Wanstead Park station is not in Wanstead but is in Forest Gate, and is nowhere near Wanstead Park which is away to the north of Wanstead Flats. The next station in this direction is Leytonstone High Road. The bridge ahead carries the line over Woodford Road.
Image: © Marathon
Taken: 14 Jan 2015
0.03 miles
7
The Eagle and Child public house, Forest Gate
Image: © Stacey Harris
Taken: 22 Mar 2010
0.04 miles
8
Wanstead Park station
The Tottenham & Hampstead Junction Railway was planned to run from Tottenham Hale on the Great Eastern Railway to Gospel Oak on the Hampstead Junction section of the London & North Western Railway. It was worked by the North London Railway (NLR) from its opening in 1860, and in 1864 came under NLR control. On 21st July 1868 a new line opened from Tottenham Hale to Highgate Road. It was only in 1887 that an extension to Gospel Oak was achieved but as a passenger exchange not as a junction.
On 9th July 1894, the Tottenham & Forest Gate Railway was opened for through goods and passenger trains with stations at Blackhorse Road, Walthamstow, Leyton, Leytonstone and Wanstead Park opening on the same day. The scheme was completed by a new station at Woodgrange Park, also opened on 9th July 1894 on a pre-existing track which had been laid in 1854.
Up to 1912 the line was a joint railway operated by the Midland Railway and the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway but from 1912 it was solely operated by the Midland. With the opening of the new line the Midland extended some of its South Tottenham trains to East Ham.
The line which now ran between Kentish Town and Barking was considered for closure to passengers in 1963 as part of the Beeching Axe, but it remained open. Even so, it was allowed to fall into a poor state of repair and reliability, and by 1980 had been cut back to an hourly service between Kentish Town and Barking. The station canopies were gradually demolished, ticket offices closed and staff withdrawn from stations.
The situation began to improve from 1981 when a new link to Gospel Oak was built and the hourly service from Kentish Town to Barking was replaced by the present route from Gospel Oak to Barking with two trains per hour. Now with it being taken over by Transport for London as part of the London Overground network the whole line has a new lease of life and new trains run every 15 minutes between Barking and Gospel Oak.
Strangely, Wanstead Park station is not in Wanstead but is in Forest Gate, and is nowhere near Wanstead Park which is away to the north of Wanstead Flats. The next station in this direction is Woodgrange Park.
Image: © Marathon
Taken: 14 Jan 2015
0.06 miles
9
Preston Motors Car Dealership. Forest Gate
Image: © Stacey Harris
Taken: 22 Mar 2010
0.06 miles
10
Woodgrange Road, London E7
Image: © Stacey Harris
Taken: 22 Mar 2010
0.06 miles