IMAGES TAKEN NEAR TO
Gough Street, BIRMINGHAM, B1 1HN

Introduction

This page details the photographs taken nearby to Gough Street, B1 1HN by members of the Geograph project.

The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.

There are currently over 7.5m images from over14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk

Image Map


Images are licensed for reuse under creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0
Notes
  • Clicking on the map will re-center to the selected point.
  • The higher the marker number, the further away the image location is from the centre of the postcode.

Image Listing (738 Images Found)

Images are licensed for reuse under creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0
  • ...
Image
Details
Distance
1
Holloway Head Car Park
A fairly desperate concrete car park just outside the inner ring road.
Image: © John M Taken: 10 Sep 2009
0.02 miles
2
Brutalist Brum: Ellis Street multistorey car park
The Holloway Head district of central Birmingham suffered heavy damage in the second world war and was redeveloped in the 1960s and 70s in an uncompromisingly modern style. This photo of the Ellis Street multistorey car park was taken from Gough Street, with Ellis Street branching off to the right. In the background can be seen the Sentinels, two 90m, 31-storey blocks of council flats designed by C Bryant & Son; Cleveland Tower was completed in 1970 and Clydesdale Tower in 1971. They have their own Wikipedia article here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sentinels , which describes their unusual history. Brutalism is defined by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) as 'a style with an emphasis on materials, textures and construction, producing highly expressive forms.' https://www.architecture.com/explore-architecture/brutalism . This style, popular with architects (though not with the general public) from the 1950s through to the 1970s, was characterised by the use of 'beton brut' (raw concrete), its surface exposed and textured with the patterns of the wooden shuttering into which the concrete was poured.
Image: © A J Paxton Taken: 5 Mar 2022
0.02 miles
3
Lonsdale House, 52 Blucher Street, Birmingham
Located on the corner of Blucher Street and Upper Gough Street. This building dates from the 1950's and is used for serviced offices, of varying sizes.
Image: © P L Chadwick Taken: 26 Aug 2014
0.02 miles
4
Lonsdale House, Blucher Street, Birmingham
"By J. Seymour Harris & Partners, 1954-55, good Festival of Britain style". It was a furniture factory, but now offers serviced offices for rent.
Image: © Stephen Richards Taken: 23 Jun 2015
0.02 miles
5
Junction of Blucher Street and Upper Gough Street, Birmingham
Blucher Street is in the foreground. On the left corner is Lonsdale House, a 1950's building used for offices. On the right is the famous Craven Arms pub, a Victorian/Edwardian jewel. Ahead is Upper Gough Street. The white building in the distance on the left is the former Gough Arms. This public house is now the Keg and Grill.
Image: © P L Chadwick Taken: 25 Nov 2012
0.02 miles
6
The Craven Arms (1), 47 Upper Gough Street, Birmingham
Located on the corner of Blucher Street and Upper Gough Street. This is an ornate traditional public house and a back street gem. It is a rare survivor from the pub estate of the long closed Holders Brewery, not to be confused with Holdens Brewery which still exists. The former Holders Brewery was established about 1872 by John Charles Holder. The brewery known as the Midland Brewery was in Novia Scotia Street, just north of the former Curzon Street railway station. The company was acquired by Mitchells & Butlers in 1919 who closed the brewery in 1923. Both brewery and street have disappeared. On the outside of the building there used to a sign stating it was established in 1838, which predates the establishment of Holders Brewery. By 1906 the pub had been acquired by them because in that year they commissioned alterations to the design of Arthur Edwards. The present tiling on the exterior was part of this. At some point the pub passed into the hands of Banks's Brewery who certainly owned it in 2004. By the time this photograph was taken in November 2012 it had ceased to be owned by them and was for sale. The present owners Black Country Ales re-opened it in early 2013. They removed the modern facia boards carrying the pub's name to reveal the original tiled facias installed in 1906. The pub is a listed building. For other photographs, please see this link:- Image
Image: © P L Chadwick Taken: 25 Nov 2012
0.02 miles
7
The Craven Arms (3) - close-up of entrance door, 47 Upper Gough Street, Birmingham
Since this photograph was taken, the white on blue lettered facia boards have been removed to reveal the original tiling matching that of the pub name. For other photographs, please see this link:- Image
Image: © P L Chadwick Taken: 25 Nov 2012
0.02 miles
8
The Craven Arms (6) - entrance door & plaque above, 47 Upper Gough Street, Birmingham
The entrance door has one of the plaques dating from 1906 above it. For other photographs, please see this link:- Image
Image: © P L Chadwick Taken: 25 Nov 2012
0.02 miles
9
Blucher Street, Birmingham
A customer enjoying some sunshine and relaxation on the Upper Gough Street side of “The Craven Arms”. This Grade II-listed property is thought to have existed before 1838. It seems that the business was acquired by Holders Brewery in 1906 when, amongst other changes, the external tiling was put up. It has been in the hands of Black Country Ales since 2013. Although it looks to be situated in glorious isolation it is in fact close to the Gas Street (canal) basin, a popular tourist area, and The Mail Box office block complex.
Image: © David Hallam-Jones Taken: 2 Sep 2017
0.02 miles
10
Jazzy tunnel walls in Birmingham
Image: © Andrew Abbott Taken: 29 May 2010
0.03 miles
  • ...