IMAGES TAKEN NEAR TO
Sunnybrae, TURRIFF, AB53 4BL

Introduction

This page details the photographs taken nearby to Sunnybrae, AB53 4BL by members of the Geograph project.

The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.

There are currently over 7.5m images from over14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk

Image Map


Images are licensed for reuse under creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0
Notes
  • Clicking on the map will re-center to the selected point.
  • The higher the marker number, the further away the image location is from the centre of the postcode.

Image Listing (100 Images Found)

Images are licensed for reuse under creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0
  • ...
Image
Details
Distance
1
St Congan's Kirkyard
This is the old burial ground of Turriff, still in use into the late 19th century. The house beyond has the look of an 18th century manse about it.
Image: © Anne Burgess Taken: 24 Oct 2007
0.00 miles
2
Barclay of Towie monument, St Congan's kirk, Turriff
Dated 1636, located on the north wall of the ruined kirk and exposed to the elements. According to Jervise (Epitaphs and Inscriptions of the Northeast of Scotland, vol. 2, p. 221, publ. 1879), the arms are those of Barclay impaling Drummond but they are now almost worn away. The splendid inscription reads: Here lies Barclay, the glory of the Towie family, to which five centuries have given old renown. Calculus cut him off in his prime, after thrice three lustra (i.e.: 45 years), nor were the resources of the healing art of any avail. The earth covers his bones; his spirit, which was of celestial origin, is the tenant of a mansion beyond the skies.
Image: © Bill Harrison Taken: 17 Sep 2016
0.01 miles
3
St Congan's auld kirk, Turriff
View from the southwest of the ruined nave.
Image: © Bill Harrison Taken: 17 Sep 2016
0.01 miles
4
St Congan's Church
St Congan's Church is at the end of Castle Street. The bellcote still on view dates back only to 1635, but the church is much older.
Image: © Stuart Reid Taken: 4 Jun 2006
0.01 miles
5
St Congan's Kirk
Long since disused, there is not much left of the structure other than this east gable and part of the side walls.
Image: © Anne Burgess Taken: 24 Oct 2007
0.01 miles
6
Grave slabs, St Congan's kirkyard, Turriff
Striking modern grave slabs for Everlid and John Hay in the style of 17th Century memorials.
Image: © Bill Harrison Taken: 17 Sep 2016
0.01 miles
7
St Congan's Kirk
A break in the fabric suggests that the original sandstone building may have been extended westwards at some time.
Image: © Anne Burgess Taken: 24 Oct 2007
0.01 miles
8
St Congan's auld kirk, Turriff
Originating in perhaps the 12th or 13th Century, the building was last used for worship in 1795 and consists of east gable-end and north and south walls. The double bellcote from 1635 is 'the finest of its type in Scotland' (Buildings of Scotland guide) and the clock was installed in 1828. A-listed (LB42163): http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB42163 .
Image: © Bill Harrison Taken: 17 Sep 2016
0.01 miles
9
Enigmatic sculpture
Carved panel in the east end of St Congan's kirk and said to come from St Congan's Hospital (almshouse). The centre head could be King Alexander III (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_III_of_Scotland ) (Buildings of Scotland guide) or Robert the Bruce (Jervise: Aberdeenshire epitaphs), who might have witnessed the foundation of the hospital in the late 13th Century.
Image: © Bill Harrison Taken: 17 Sep 2016
0.01 miles
10
Skein monument, St Congan's kirk, Turriff
Monument to Andrew Skein, minister of the kirk from 1661-1678. The sandstone edifice is severely eroded, but 150 years' ago or so, the inscription was recorded and translated by Jervise as: Mr Andrew Skein, a man distinguished for his candour, very mighty in word and deed, the glory of the pulpit of Turriff, laid down in hope the remains of mortality, besides which he had nothing mortal, in April, 1678. This monument, such as it is, his most tender spouse, Joanna Coutts, caused to be erected as a pledge of her lasting affection. The Coutts arms are now illegible but the Skein (or Skene) arms are just legible: gules three skenes, or daggers, paleways in fess argent hiltcd and pommelled or, on the point of each a wolf's head couped of the third.
Image: © Bill Harrison Taken: 17 Sep 2016
0.01 miles
  • ...