1
Alum Well Road, Gateshead
Image: © Alex McGregor
Taken: 2 Sep 2010
0.07 miles
2
Houses on Saltwell Road South
Showing position of Postbox No. NE9 26.
Image: © JThomas
Taken: 18 Aug 2018
0.07 miles
3
Elizabeth II postbox on Saltwell Road South
Postbox No. NE9 26.
Image: © JThomas
Taken: 18 Aug 2018
0.08 miles
4
Saltwell Road South, Gateshead
Image: © Alex McGregor
Taken: 12 Jul 2011
0.15 miles
5
Newcastle - Liverpool express passing Low Fell, 1946
View towards Newcastle from the northern end of the Down platform at Low Fell station, which closed 7/4/52. The locomotive is Gresley K3 class 2-6-0 No. 3825 - just before being renumbered to 1985; built 1/37, it was withdrawn as BR No. 61985 in 12/62.
Image: © Walter Dendy, deceased
Taken: 18 Aug 1946
0.16 miles
6
East coast main line towards Edinburgh
Looking north from the bridge on Eastern Avenue.
Image: © JThomas
Taken: 18 Aug 2018
0.17 miles
7
East Coast Main Line
LNER HST heading south.
Looking north from the bridge on Eastern Avenue.
Image: © JThomas
Taken: 18 Aug 2018
0.17 miles
8
The Ninepins Public House
Image: © Bill Henderson
Taken: 19 Sep 2008
0.17 miles
9
St. Helen's Church, Low Fell, Gateshead
The Parish of Saint Helen owes its existence to the large population explosion experienced by industrial centres of the nineteenth century. Until then Low Fell had been but a small village on the Southern edge of Gateshead - coal mining being the principal occupation. The opening of the Gateshead to Durham Turnpike in 1827 served to put Low Fell on the map and many of the industrialists and merchants of Gateshead and Newcastle built large houses in the area, this being followed by a steady growth in population generally. Residents faced a stiff uphill climb to the local Parish Church of St. John at the top of Sheriff Hill.
The new Parish of St. Helen was formed by combining parts of the parishes of St. Mary, Gateshead, St. John, Gateshead Fell and St. Cuthbert, Gateshead. The entire cost of the Church - £13,000 - was met by Edward Joicey of Whinney House, Low Fell who was a partner in the firm of Joicey and Co., colliery owners. The original living was in the gift of Mr.Joicey of the net annual value of £300. The Church was consecrated on 29th August 1876.
http://www.sthelenslowfell.com/church-building.php
Image: © Les Hull
Taken: 2 Mar 2011
0.18 miles
10
Eastern Avenue, Team Valley
Road bridge crossing the railway.
Image: © wfmillar
Taken: 23 Oct 2011
0.18 miles