1
Tree-lined avenue, Tartaraghan Parish Church
It is heading towards the main road
Image: © Kenneth Allen
Taken: 28 Jun 2011
0.06 miles
2
Cottage, Tarthlogue, Breagh
It belongs to the adjoining Tartaraghan Parish Church
Image: © Kenneth Allen
Taken: 28 Jun 2011
0.06 miles
3
The Head O' The Road, Tartaraghan
The Head O' The Road is a family-run authentic country pub in Co Armagh which is over 75 years old.
Image: © Kenneth Allen
Taken: 28 Jun 2011
0.06 miles
4
Tartaraghan Church from a distance
Image: © William England
Taken: 26 Jan 2003
0.06 miles
5
Unusual tree at Tartaraghan Parish Church
It is located beside the Lychgate. Included in the trunk near the base is a "bowl" holding water.
Image: © Kenneth Allen
Taken: 28 Jun 2011
0.10 miles
6
St Paul's Tartaraghan Church of Ireland
It is in the Diocese of Armagh
Image: © Kenneth Allen
Taken: 28 Jun 2011
0.10 miles
7
Lychgate of Tartaraghan Parish Church
Looking north
Image: © Kenneth Allen
Taken: 28 Jun 2011
0.12 miles
8
Tartaraghan Church of Ireland
Tartaraghan Parish Church celebrates the 300th Anniversary, of the creation of the Parish, in 2009. Primate Boyle, in response to a petition from the local residents, gave permission for a Parish with its own minister. An Act of Parliament, whose aim was to encourage the building of churches in the Armagh Diocese, was passed on 1st November 1709. This allowed the erection of the Parish of Tartaraghan. As the ancient church at Toby Hole, Eglish, did not provide the required central position within the new parish, a site was chosen for St. Paul's in Breagh Lower. The first church building was consecrated on 25th September 1713 and stood for over 100 years and was used until a larger building was needed, due to the increasing population. The present church building was built to the north of the first St. Paul's and was consecrated on 27th August 1819.
Image: © P Flannagan
Taken: 22 Feb 2007
0.13 miles
9
Lychgate of Tartaraghan Parish Church
A Lychgate is a covered open structure, found at a church gate. It normally consists of four or six oak posts embedded in the ground in a rectangular shape. On top of this are a number of beams to hold a steeply sloping straight pitched roof covered in wooden or clay peg tiles. The name is derived from the Saxon Lych meaning "corpse" and gate meaning entrance. Hence corpse entrance.
The lychgates were built from about the mid 15th century. It was the custom at the time for priests to conduct the first part of the funeral service under its shelter. During medieval times the rich were the only people buried in coffins. The poor were carried to the lychgate and placed on a stone or wooden table covered in a shroud before burial. See
Image
Image: © P Flannagan
Taken: 22 Feb 2007
0.18 miles
10
Tartaraghan Road
Heading at Breagh
Image: © Kenneth Allen
Taken: 2 Sep 2012
0.20 miles