Compton Mead

Introduction

The photograph on this page of Compton Mead by Neil Owen as part of the Geograph project.

The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.

There are currently over 7.5m images from over 14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk

Compton Mead

Image: © Neil Owen Taken: 17 Aug 2017

This row of old cottages have a date over an entrance of 1690. They were extensively remodelled by Henry Martin Gibbs (of the local Gibbs family of Tyntesfield fame) from 1900-27. Grade II listed. The post office used to run here but was closed a few years ago. Previously in the early twentieth century the office was at the end of the village, close to the modern war memorial and village hall.

Images are licensed for reuse under creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0

Image Location

coordinates on a map icon
Latitude
51.408881
Longitude
-2.67771