The end of Havelock Street
Introduction
The photograph on this page of The end of Havelock Street by Gerald England as part of the Geograph project.
The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.
There are currently over 7.5m images from over 14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk

Image: © Gerald England Taken: 5 Mar 2014
Opposite the end of Havelock Street is the former Central Picture Theatre Image The Central Picture Theatre opened its doors for the first time on 11th July 1913. It was renamed the King Edward Picture Palace in 1914. By 1972 it had closed as a cinema and was in use as a bingo hall, a use that continued until March 1984. After several years laying empty and un-used, it became a nightclub named "The Venue" and the facade was restored in recent years. The chequerboard brickwork and Dutch gable enlivens a rather drab part of town. It became an entertainment venue named Family Fun, then went back to night club use, but was closed by 2011. http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/6546 The King Edward Picture House is a Grade II Listed building. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1072006