Dukinfield Methodist Church

Introduction

The photograph on this page of Dukinfield Methodist Church by Gerald England as part of the Geograph project.

The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.

There are currently over 7.5m images from over 14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk

Dukinfield Methodist Church

Image: © Gerald England Taken: 13 Mar 2013

The first Methodist Church in Dukinfield opened in 1829. It was replaced by a large building called "Bethesda" which opened in 1840. In 1860 a large gallery was added to the chapel taking the seating capacity to over 1000, making it the largest chapel in the Ashton circuit. In 1898 the original Sunday school building was replaced by a new building, which remains in use today. In 1969 the Primitive Methodist Church in Foundry Street closed and the two congregations amalgamated. The last service of the old chapel was held on 20th May 1977, and the foundation stone of the new chapel laid on 11th December 1977 with the new building opening on September 9th 1978. http://web.archive.org/web/20130808235003/http://www.dukinfieldmethodist.org.uk/History/History.html

Images are licensed for reuse under creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0

Image Location

coordinates on a map icon
Latitude
53.480936
Longitude
-2.092933