Tremadog Manufactory

Introduction

The photograph on this page of Tremadog Manufactory by Alan Fryer as part of the Geograph project.

The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.

There are currently over 7.5m images from over 14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk

Tremadog Manufactory

Image: © Alan Fryer Taken: 13 May 2012

All that is left of Madocks' woollen mill built in 1805. Although a grade II* listed building, it has long been in a sorry state. "Madocks' vision for the town included Industry and in 1805 he built the Manufactory. It became the site for one of the first woollen mills in Wales where carding and spinning were powered. Beside the mill was the Loomery, where weaving took place. This building remains and was used from C.1835 as a Tannery. There was also a fulling mill and a corn mill, all worked by water power. The water was drawn from Llyn Cwm Bach created up above the Manufactory to serve a series of catchponds and wheels. As always Madocks was aware of the look of his buildings. The Loomery was designed with a roof very similar to the Town Hall, and with its rows of windows alternating with masonry, and two lower buildings flanking it, it was a handsome building. (The present roof is temporary). Madocks instructed that the mill should be "well yellowed" and the windows painted dark green." (from A Brief History of Tremadog by Cyfeillion Cadw Tremadog)

Images are licensed for reuse under creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0

Image Location

coordinates on a map icon
Latitude
52.94082
Longitude
-4.138655