The Alms Houses western entrance

Introduction

The photograph on this page of The Alms Houses western entrance by Stuart Logan as part of the Geograph project.

The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.

There are currently over 7.5m images from over 14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk

The Alms Houses western entrance

Image: © Stuart Logan Taken: 29 Feb 2012

Endowed in 1437 by Geoffrey Chaucer's granddaughter the almshouses are officially called "The Two Chaplains and Thirteen Poor Men of Ewelme in the County of Oxford". Nowadays available to both genders, originally only men could live here. As time went on the rules were relaxed to allow their wives to join them but widows had to move out. At least one widow solved her problem by marrying the next incumbent of alms.

Images are licensed for reuse under creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0

Image Location

coordinates on a map icon
Latitude
51.617636
Longitude
-1.068201