King's House

Introduction

The photograph on this page of King's House by Ian Capper as part of the Geograph project.

The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.

There are currently over 7.5m images from over 14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk

King's House

Image: © Ian Capper Taken: 21 Jan 2022

Large building on Queen's Gardens on Kingsway, built in the 1870s. The architect was Sir James Knowles, intended as part of a masterplan for the area surrounding Grand Avenue which failed to materialise. Originally a hotel, the Prince's Hotel, the building was requisitioned by the Admiralty in the Second World War, before becoming the offices of the South East Electricity Board (Seeboard) in 1947. In 1996 the building was sold to Brighton and Hove Council, who occupied it until the mid 2010s. In 2017 it was sold to developers and has now been converted to flats. Grade II listed - see https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205528?section=official-listing.

Images are licensed for reuse under creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0

Image Location

coordinates on a map icon
Latitude
50.82449
Longitude
-0.168139