Skipton buildings [81]

Introduction

The photograph on this page of Skipton buildings [81] by Michael Dibb as part of the Geograph project.

The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.

There are currently over 7.5m images from over 14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk

Skipton buildings [81]

Image: © Michael Dibb Taken: 23 Jun 2021

This building, in Newmarket Road, is one of three buildings with an interwoven history. Ermysted's Grammar School was founded in 1492 and in 1548 took over the former chapel of the Knights Hospitallers as a schoolroom. The school was expanded in the late 17th or early 18th century with an adjoining addition. Circa 1775 the then headmaster built himself a fine new house. The grammar school moved to new premises in Gargrave Road in 1876. The chapel (seen here) is now an electricity sub-station. The addition Image is now a private house. The headmaster's house Image is now the Cross Keys public house. The former chapel is constructed of rubble stone under a stone flag roof. Listed, grade II, with details at: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1131853 Skipton is a market town in North Yorkshire, some 27 miles northwest of Leeds. On the southern edge of the Yorkshire Dales National Park, it is now an important tourist destination. The town expanded after the construction of Skipton Castle in the 11th century. The Leeds and Liverpool Canal runs through the town and the River Aire flows just to the southwest. The name Skipton means 'sheep-town'.

Images are licensed for reuse under creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0

Image Location

coordinates on a map icon
Latitude
53.961042
Longitude
-2.010328