Warwick Row viewed from Greyfriars Green

Introduction

The photograph on this page of Warwick Row viewed from Greyfriars Green by A J Paxton as part of the Geograph project.

The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.

There are currently over 7.5m images from over 14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk

Warwick Row viewed from Greyfriars Green

Image: © A J Paxton Taken: 25 Feb 2014

The house at the end of the row, in the centre of the picture, a three-bay, three-storey structure faced with white-painted stucco, is the building where Mary Ann Evans, the future George Eliot, attended school from 1832 to 1835. A plaque over the door records this. The school 'attracted intelligent girls from all over the Midlands and abroad', according to Kathleen Adams ('George Eliot: The Pitkin Guide'). The teachers were the sisters Mary & Rebecca Franklin, daughters of the local Baptist minister. The house is now Loveitts Estate Agents. The monument to the left remembers not Eliot but a later 19th century Coventry figure, the bicycle inventor James Starley.

Images are licensed for reuse under creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0

Image Location

coordinates on a map icon
Latitude
52.404236
Longitude
-1.515333