Information Board at Parsons Green

Introduction

The photograph on this page of Information Board at Parsons Green by David Hillas as part of the Geograph project.

The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.

There are currently over 7.5m images from over 14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk

Information Board at Parsons Green

Image: © David Hillas Taken: 29 Oct 2019

Situated off the A308 New King's Road SW6 4XG, this information board has the following wording: Welcome to Parsons Green The name is derived from the parsonage or rectory that used to stand midway along the western side of the Green. The rectory was demolished in 1882, and St.Dionis Church built on the site. The Green was formerly a portion of the Manor of Fulham. References to Parsons Green date back to at least the 14th century. A pond known in the 17th century as Colepitts was situated at the south east corner of the Green. It was filled in during the 19th century when the natural spring by which it as fed was destroyed during the construction of the main drainage of King's (later New King's) Road. In 1878 a granite drinking fountain was erected by the Rev. R.G.Baker on the south side of the Green facing New King's Road. Parson's Green, together with Eelbrook Common and Brook Green, was purchased by the Metropolitan Board of Works for £5,000 in 1881 and administered as a public open space. The administration and maintenance of Parsons Green was transferred to the London Borough of Hammersmith in April 1971. Good users guide to parks . Please be aware of other park users and be considerate. Formal byelaws apply to this site. . Keep your park tidy and use bins provided. . We welcome responsible dog owners. Please dispose of dog mess in the bins provided. This park is in a Dog Control Zone. The notice in the holder on the right says: PUBLIC NOTICE BARBEQUING IS NOT ALLOWED IN THIS PARK At the bottom right of the board is the wording: This site is managed by Hammersmith & Fulham Council and patrolled by the Parks Constabulary.

Images are licensed for reuse under creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0

Image Location

coordinates on a map icon
Latitude
51.472828
Longitude
-0.199898