Ealing buildings [25]
Introduction
The photograph on this page of Ealing buildings [25] by Michael Dibb as part of the Geograph project.
The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.
There are currently over 7.5m images from over 14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk
Image: © Michael Dibb Taken: 14 Sep 2019
This is the Gothic Revival façade of St Saviour CofE primary school. The façade was restored and the entrance brought back into use in 2005. The school was first opened for boys only in 1872 and a school for girls was added in 1886 and they were combined in 1926. The church of St Saviour, built in 1898 which shared the site was destroyed during WWII. The school shares the site with The Clergy House - see Image and Image Ealing is one of the seven major towns in the London Borough of Ealing. A rural village until communications with London got better with the improvements to the road to Oxford (later Uxbridge Road) in the 18th century and culminating with the coming of the railway in 1838. Ealing expanded greatly with suburban development during the 19th century and became known as the "Queen of the Suburbs" due to its greenery and because it was halfway between city and country. Ealing became a municipal borough in 1901. Growth continued throughout the 20th century and Ealing became part of a modern London borough in 1965.