Field boundary near Tre-ricert, Nevern

Introduction

The photograph on this page of Field boundary near Tre-ricert, Nevern by Dylan Moore as part of the Geograph project.

The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.

There are currently over 7.5m images from over 14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk

Field boundary near Tre-ricert, Nevern

Image: © Dylan Moore Taken: 24 Mar 2019

The place-name is interesting. Although North Pembrokeshire is intensely Welsh in culture, many of the more important settlements have English names, dating from the period of the Anglo-Norman invasion, when manors were handed out to the conquerors' fellow-travellers. This north-eastern part of the parish of Nevern was originally called Hodiston (as given in 1347), because it belonged to the Hood family, who came (as many did) from South Devon (see Image). At some point it was divided between brothers Richard Hood and Jordan Hood. So one part became known as Jordanston (translated as Tref-wrdan). The part east of the brook was called Ricardston, Richardston or Rikerston in the 16th century. Welsh forms were Tref Richard, Trefricard, Tre Rickart, or even Tre Rickart Hwd. From the 18th century, in local pronunciation the -r- was dropped, but the Victorian Ordnance Survey maps, which used names approved by local clergy and gentry, still gave it as "Tre-reikert".

Images are licensed for reuse under creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0

Image Location

coordinates on a map icon
Latitude
52.048055
Longitude
-4.768103