Salvation Army citadel

Introduction

The photograph on this page of Salvation Army citadel by Duncan Graham as part of the Geograph project.

The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.

There are currently over 7.5m images from over 14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk

Salvation Army citadel

Image: © Duncan Graham Taken: 23 Jul 2018

This picture shows the Salvation Army citadel on the corner of Old Road and St Osyth Road, taken from the opposite side of Old Road. The citadel was built in 1901 as Zion Church, when it was used by the Primitive Methodists. Following bomb damage during the Second World War, it was reconstructed in 1952, when the Salvationists took possession. The bell-towers of the former St Osyth Road Infant School, now Tendring Adult Education College, can be seen in the background to the right of the citadel. Catherine Booth, the wife of General William Booth and co-founder of the Salvation Army, died in Clacton in 1890. [Source for details of the history of the building: "The History of Clacton", by Kenneth Walker, 1966].

Images are licensed for reuse under creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0

Image Location

coordinates on a map icon
Latitude
51.793091
Longitude
1.147791