Foundation stone - 282 High Street
Introduction
The photograph on this page of Foundation stone - 282 High Street by Ian Capper as part of the Geograph project.
The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.
There are currently over 7.5m images from over 14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk

Image: © Ian Capper Taken: 7 Aug 2015
One of a pair of foundation stones incorporated in the wall of 282 High Street (see Image). They were originally from some oast houses that were built on this site in the 1860s and in use until 1924, after which the building was converted and used as offices by "The Kentish Times" for a time. In 1938 the building was demolished and replaced by a parade of shops of which this is a part. The initials on this stone were of the two workers on the Mayfield estate (of which the oast houses were part), William Laslett and R. Pettit, and of James Wink, local churchwarden, and J. Bond, master plumber. For the other foundation stone, see Image Two other foundation stones were also originally in the oast houses but have been lost.