Hugh Mason House

Introduction

The photograph on this page of Hugh Mason House by Gerald England as part of the Geograph project.

The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.

There are currently over 7.5m images from over 14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk

Hugh Mason House

Image: © Gerald England Taken: 28 Sep 2016

Seen from across Park Parade is the old Ashton Baths. The Corporation Baths Image were opened in 1870 at a cost of £16,000. The main pool was 100 feet long and 40 feet wide and used mainly by male bathers, with a three hour period on Thursdays reserved for ladies. In the eastern section of the building was a smaller pool, 27 feet long and 15 feet wide, for the use of female bathers. There were also private bathrooms and Turkish baths. Part of the building was used as a police station and a station for one fire engine. In winter the main pool was covered over with a wooden floor, built on wooden supports placed on the bottom of the pool. The room was then used as a skating rink, concert hall and meeting room. http://www.ashton-under-lyne.com/history/baths.htm The building was closed in the 1970s. In 1975 it became Grade II listed. http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-212657-hugh-mason-house-ashton-under-lyne In 2014 the building was acquired by PlaceFirstLtd http://placefirst.co.uk/heritage/ashton-old-baths/ and work began to transform it into 21st century business hub. It re-opened in March 2016 Image

Images are licensed for reuse under creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0

Image Location

coordinates on a map icon
Latitude
53.484794
Longitude
-2.101682