The Old Sussex Stud

Introduction

The photograph on this page of The Old Sussex Stud by Simon Carey as part of the Geograph project.

The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.

There are currently over 7.5m images from over 14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk

The Old Sussex Stud

Image: © Simon Carey Taken: 19 Jul 2016

Park Farm was built between 1793 and 1815 in order to remove the farm business away from the environs of West Grinstead Park. The latter was acquired by JP Hornung, a businessman who acquired his riches through cultivating sugar cane in Portuguese East Africa and brother to Raffles creator EW Hornung. Hornung's hobby was horseracing and he established a stud at Park Farm in 1921. After his death in 1940 it was acquired by the National Stud in 1949 and continued in operation until it went into liquidation in 1985. The entire stud was converted to housing around the turn of this century. The white building on the left known as the White House was once the Grooms House whilst beyond is the Old Dairy which were originally offices for the stud.

Images are licensed for reuse under creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0

Image Location

coordinates on a map icon
Latitude
50.989794
Longitude
-0.337486