Replica smock mill rear of 111 High Street, Sheerness
Introduction
The photograph on this page of Replica smock mill rear of 111 High Street, Sheerness by Jo and Steve Turner as part of the Geograph project.
The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.
There are currently over 7.5m images from over 14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk

Image: © Jo and Steve Turner Taken: 29 Jun 2016
Grade II Listed Great or Ride's smock mill. Work on building the Great mill was started by the millwright Humphrey of Cranbrook in 1813 and completed by Thomas Webb in 1816 who worked it until 1864 and was replaced by G Ride and Son. A steam engine was added in 1889 as auxiliary power. The mill was worked by wind until 1905, when the sails and stage were removed. It worked by steam engine until 1918 and was demolished in 1924 leaving only the brick base that served as a corn store through to the 1930s. The replica windmill was added in 2006-7 only to catch fire in January 2008; refurbishment being largely completed in May 2009.