Temple Works, Marshall Street, Leeds - south end

Introduction

The photograph on this page of Temple Works, Marshall Street, Leeds - south end by Stephen Craven as part of the Geograph project.

The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.

There are currently over 7.5m images from over 14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk

Temple Works, Marshall Street, Leeds - south end

Image: © Stephen Craven Taken: 23 Jan 2016

Seen from Manor Road, the southern end of the large engineering complex that has been described as the most significant building in this part of Leeds. Originally a flax mill, it was designed for John Marshall and Company by Ignatius Bonomi the younger and built between 1838 and 1843 by James Combe, engineer in a mixture of brick, cast iron, ashlar facade. It is notable for its Egyptian style, allegedly a copy of the Temple at Edfu, the reference being to flax as important in Egyptian history. Flax production ended in 1886 and it became a clothing factory, James Rhodes and Co. From the 1950s to 2005 it was a part of the Kay's Catalogue site. A 2005 planning application to redevelop the site came to nothing. It is grade 1 listed (list entry 1375162).

Images are licensed for reuse under creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0

Image Location

coordinates on a map icon
Latitude
53.789602
Longitude
-1.552492