Memorial to the Dispensary

Introduction

The photograph on this page of Memorial to the Dispensary by Dave Thompson as part of the Geograph project.

The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.

There are currently over 7.5m images from over 14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk

Memorial to the Dispensary

Image: © Dave Thompson Taken: 26 Jun 2015

Dr. Henry Lilley-Smith (1787 - 1859), born in Southam, created the first self-supporting dispensary here which specialised in the treatment of diseases of the eyes and ears The hospital, which was built on land owned by Dr Smith, contained about 14 beds and was supported by voluntary donations. The hospital treated about 12,220 patients during its first forty years, two thirds of whom were cured. The Infirmary, which passed into the hands of trustees when Dr Smith died, continued for a few years but fell into financial difficulties and was forced to close in December 1872. Attempts were made to reinstate the hospital but financial constraints meant that none were successful. In September 1889 a stone monument was presented to the Trustees to be placed at the site of the original Dispensary cottage with inscriptions detailing some of the charitable work Dr Smith encouraged including Allotments for Boys, the Maypole Holiday and the Dispensary itself.

Images are licensed for reuse under creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0

Image Location

coordinates on a map icon
Latitude
52.250926
Longitude
-1.392933