Union Quay, North Shields
Introduction
The photograph on this page of Union Quay, North Shields by Andrew Curtis as part of the Geograph project.
The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.
There are currently over 7.5m images from over 14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk

Image: © Andrew Curtis Taken: 28 Jul 2013
Part of the Waterfront Restaurant extends into one of the seven single-storey brick-built lock-ups of the Fish Market on Union Quay. They were built between 1900 and 1932 and were used by fish merchants. On the right is Irvings Building built in 1913 as offices, sale room, chandlers' shop, workshops and warehouse of Richard Irvin and Sons, fishing boat owners, fish salesmen and auctioneers Image Irvin was a renowned pioneer of steam trawling, and was reputed to be the largest operator in the industry outside Peterhead in Scotland. Being such a large employer (with over 30 boats and hundreds of workers), Irvins ran a banking system for their own employees which was housed in the office range, which had a first-floor boardroom, on the right. Now a Grade II Listed Building http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?resourceID=5&uid=1061408