Old Colliery School and Schoolhouse

Introduction

The photograph on this page of Old Colliery School and Schoolhouse by Andrew Curtis as part of the Geograph project.

The Geograph project started in 2005 with the aim of publishing, organising and preserving representative images for every square kilometre of Great Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.

There are currently over 7.5m images from over 14,400 individuals and you can help contribute to the project by visiting https://www.geograph.org.uk

Old Colliery School and Schoolhouse

Image: © Andrew Curtis Taken: 28 Dec 2011

The former Colliery School was built in 1854 at the instigation of J.F.B. Blackett (M.P. for Newcastle in 1852) and was used until a new school was built in Falcon Terrace in 1910 Image The Colliery School was, for a time, the Wylam Assembly Church, and is a Grade II Listed Building http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?uid=1370463&resourceID=5 The Old Schoolhouse to its left dates from the early C18th. It was formerly the village school itself, then became the schoolmaster's house. It is also Grade II Listed http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?uid=1044927&resourceID=5 Close to this site, between 1805 and 1827, lived William Hedley (1779-1843), the famous locomotive pioneer. There is a plaque on a wall on the other side of Woodcroft Road Image

Images are licensed for reuse under creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0

Image Location

coordinates on a map icon
Latitude
54.975525
Longitude
-1.824214